chroots for testing other OS versions (was: buildbot errors)

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Fri Nov 18 12:43:23 PST 2011

On Nov 17, 2011, at 10:41 PM, Joshua Root wrote:

> There's certainly a lot more that could and should be done in the realm
> of trace mode and sandboxing. The problem with an actual chroot is
> mainly that modern OS X relies on a lot of sockets to get anything done
> (DNS lookups was the one that stopped me going down that path).
>
> Running all the bits from an earlier OS version though? Not so sure.
> You'd have to use the current libSystem so it matches the kernel
> interface. Then hope nothing needs undocumented/private features of the
> old libSystem.

Indeed.  We actually keep things pretty compatible at the syscall level from release to release, but I agree that at the minimum, the major version number should match for the host.   What is the current status of trace mode, anyway?  Is it just used to verify destroots, or is it used for more than that?

- Jordan