Tcl and pkgPath

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Nov 20 12:09:44 PST 2011

On 2011-11-21 06:11 , Andrea D'Amore wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 09:11, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
>> What's the problem with using the system tclsh? Base is never going to
>> run in anything else, so that's the environment you should test in anyway.
>
> MP's tclsh comes first in PATH, there's no real problem with that.
> I asked the list exactly to know if there are any cons extending the pkgPath.

Yes, the cost intrinsic to making the change -- makes the portfile that
little bit longer and thus more difficult to read, added maintenance
effort if a future upstream change makes this break, and making everyone
rebuild if you bump the revision. It probably also makes package loading
a little slower. And, as alluded to above, any differences there may be
between the system tclsh and macports' would make using the latter to
run tests with the macports code inadvisable.

What are the pros? Bear in mind that this is only interesting to the
very small fraction of users who are also port devs in the first place,
and there are plenty of ways to get extra entries into auto_path that
don't involve rebuilding the interpreter.

- Josh