buildbot failure in MacPorts on buildports-snowleopard-x86_64

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Nov 21 09:34:09 PST 2011

On 2011-11-22 04:14 , Marko Käning wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Joshua Root wrote:
>> On 2011-11-19 19:23 , Marko Käning wrote:
>>> How come that KDE3 ports are kept, but KDE4 ports are not kept there? Does their license GPL-2 not permit that?
>>> Same for aqbanking5 for instance: {GPL-2 OpenSSLException}…
>> - Josh
>
> Hmmm, I was wondering again about this issue:
>
> 	How come Linux distros can ship KDE4 as well as aqbanking in binary format, but MacPorts can't? (Especially all the KDE4 stuff takes ages to build…)

Maybe the license information in the portfile is wrong (e.g. it's
actually GPL-2+), or they're shipping an older LGPL-2.x version of gmp,
or it's possible to turn off the use of gmp and they are. Otherwise
they're not permitted to distribute aqbanking.

With KDE I think our main problem is that the GPL conflicts with the
OpenSSL license. Some distros have reasoned that the system library
exception in the GPL applies to them here, because they distribute
OpenSSL with the OS. Others have taken to patching everything GPL'd to
use GnuTLS or NSS instead of OpenSSL.

- Josh