buildbot failure in MacPorts on buildports-snowleopard-x86_64

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Mon Nov 21 09:55:12 PST 2011

Joshua Root wrote:

> With KDE I think our main problem is that the GPL conflicts with the
> OpenSSL license. Some distros have reasoned that the system library
> exception in the GPL applies to them here, because they distribute
> OpenSSL with the OS. Others have taken to patching everything GPL'd to
> use GnuTLS or NSS instead of OpenSSL.

And Fink is one of those distros that use the system OpenSSL,
by linking with /usr/lib/libssl.dylib rather than ${prefix} :

otool -L /sw/lib/lib*.dylib ->
	/usr/lib/libssl.0.9.8.dylib (compatibility version 0.9.8, current version 0.9.8)

otool -L /opt/local/lib/lib*.dylib ->
	/opt/local/lib/libssl.1.0.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)

http://wiki.finkproject.org/index.php/Fink:Policy:system-openssl

http://wiki.finkproject.org/index.php/Getting_rid_of_-ssl_variants_by_using_system-openssl-dev

But using this approach in MacPorts was rejected, as per the
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#ownlibs library policy...

--anders