OpenSSL in Python (move to variant?)

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Tue Nov 22 22:06:20 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Dan Ports <dports at macports.org> wrote:
> The way I'd prefer to deal with it is to have an option to skip the
> license check for a particular dependency (say,
> depends_skip_licensecheck). We could use this to ignore the
> python -> openssl dependency, since most ports that depend on Python
> aren't depending on the ssl module. Of course, we'd have to be careful
> with manually checking the few ports that actually do use Python's ssl
> module...

That sounds like a better way to fix the problem. Perhaps an explicit
'not_dependent_on' parameter for masking out ports from the
rdepof:pyXX-YZ list when license checking. (I think I just said the
same thing.)

On the other hand, while I'm not a huge fan of removing the OpenSSL
module by default, my guess is the population of macports python users
depending on OpenSSL would probably figure out that they need to
compile the +openssl variant, especially if a 'notes' item points out
that the default variant had changed.

Just my 2c.

 -Eric
--