New clang/llvm ports

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Wed Nov 23 09:35:31 PST 2011

On Nov 23, 2011, at 1:07 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2011, at 01:45, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

>>> Ok, go ahead.  Sooner rather than later is better.
>>
>> Since Michael never did this, and these ports have been there a while, I'm guessing we should just keep these.  I personally never liked the naming without the "-", so I'm glad to be ditching that.  The lack of - and . characters makes those port names ambiguous.
>
> Well the vast majority of existent versioned ports are named without dash and dot, so it would be more consistent to continue that tradition.

Well seeing as how this is eliminating llvm, I was more focused on making the new ports fit in with our other tradition, llvm-devel.  So there would be llvm-2,9, llvm-3.0, and llvm-devel ("devel" just being another version which was always master and thus not ABI safe), but I eventually decided to just use llvm-3.1 for master.

> I have not had a chance to try these llvm ports with pure; I'll try to do that soon. It's meant to be compatible with llvm 2.9 and 3.0.

Thanks.  Please let me know how it goes.