OpenSSL in Python (move to variant?)

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Thu Nov 24 21:46:28 PST 2011

On Nov 23, 2011, at 8:52 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> It says Apple has deprecated the use of OpenSSL as of Lion and may remove it entirely in a future OS version, and suggests that developers use Apple's own Common Crypto instead. It's apparently available starting in Leopard, so if we wanted to do that, it wouldn't be too awful for backward compatibility. (Lots of ports are already broken on Tiger for other reasons.)

Well, the fact that it's deprecated in Lion doesn't mean that MacPorts can't keep using it as a purely non-system dependency, but actually converting ports to CommonCrypto (or the SecTransform APIs where appropriate) will definitely make them a lot more future-proof and also take advantage of some fairly substantial performance work that's gone into CC (or, in the case of SecTransforms, is also multicore aware and capable of parallelizing certain operations).

- Jordan