Requiring Specific Universal_Archs

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 4 14:56:10 PDT 2011

On Oct 4, 2011, at 16:06, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> Would you rather they got an error or the only universal archs
>> available?
>
> I should think an error is more appropriate; what good is a macports.conf
> if we're ignoring it?

We already "ignore" macports.conf in every port in which we specify "supported_archs i386 ppc". There are many such ports that only build 32-bit. Most users on Snow Leopard and above use the default build_arch x86_64. Would you rather we error out and require the user to modify their build_arch every time they want to install a 32-bit-only port?

But I agree that if the software builds x86_64 non-universal, then it should build x86_64 i386 universal, and if it does not, then disabling the universal variant is better; after all, users on x86_64 systems, which are the vast majority of users at this point, would much rather have x86_64 software than i386/ppc software.