py-yaml, py-dns and py-spf subports

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Tue Oct 4 18:36:19 PDT 2011

On Oct 4, 2011, at 6:09 PM, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2011-10-5 11:32 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 4, 2011, at 16:58, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>>
>>> Each of the existing ports py-yaml, py-dns and py-spf are PortGroup python24 ports.
>>>
>>> I converted py*-yaml, py*-dns and py*-spf to subports using PortGroup python 1.0.
>>>
>>> I have python27 as the default python version.
>>> python.versions     24 25 26 27
>>> python.default_version 27
>>>
>>> Would it be better to have the default python python24?
>>
>> As I understand our current strategy, yes: do not set python.default_version (i.e. let it be its default 24) if there was an existing py-* port.
>
> Right, you want py-foo to be replaced_by py24-foo so users who already
> have py-foo installed will upgrade correctly.

Thanks. So using py-yaml for example, I changed:
python.versions     24 25 26 27
python.default_version 27

to:
python.versions     24 25 26 27
replaced_by         py24-yaml

Does replaced_by trigger an install of the replaced_by port?
Looking at "man portfile" suggest replaced_by does NOT trigger an install.

One more question, I've seen other ports setting python.versions to 24 25 26 27.
Is this a good value for most cases? Is there a good method for determining what versions are good to use?

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)