wxWidgets license

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Mon Oct 10 05:14:59 PDT 2011

Andrea D'Amore wrote:

> We should add a license for wxWindows in
> portmgr/jobs/port_binary_distributable.tcl
>
> From page [1]:
> "The wxWindows Licence is essentially the L-GPL (Library General
> Public Licence), with an exception stating that derived works in
> binary form may be distributed on the user's own terms. This is a
> solution that satisfies those who wish to produce GPL'ed software
> using wxWidgets, and also those producing proprietary software."
>
> I'm no license expert, but from what I read it's based on lgpl-3,

It's based on LGPL-2, if you read the license itself:

http://www.wxwidgets.org/about/licence3.txt

" This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
  under the terms of the GNU Library General Public Licence as published by
  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the Licence, or (at
  your option) any later version. "

This means that you can also redistribute as LGPL-2+

> wxWindows Licence version is 3.1 due to "an ambiguity in Clause 2"
> that  was removed in 2005, so I'm going to duplicate the entry for
> lpgl3 conflicts and rename it wxwidgets or wxwl-3.1 .

Actually the license is called the "wxWindows Library Licence"

It's a more liberal/different license than the usual LGPL,
even if that mostly applies to such uses outside of ports...

So you should add an entry for "wxWindows" to the allowed list.

--anders