Lion Recovery Partition

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Mon Oct 17 08:17:02 PDT 2011

> This doesn't sound like the kind of thing that should be built in to
> MacPorts, but it does sound like a useful 3rd party tool.

Well the people who could create that are the ones here on macports-dev.
:-) I'd say it's worth discussing, even if it's separate.

> One way would be to include the Portfile in the binary archive (I
> think this was discussed as well; I'm not sure where it went). Then,
> the user could install an old port with: "port install
> /path/to/archive".
>
> Personally, I think the proper way to handle this is to implement
> version dependencies (may as well do variants as well and close the
> oldest open bug MacPorts has #126). Multiple, version-tagged portfiles
> could be kept for each port. Then again, there's a reason versions and
> variants aren't dependable like this, there's a lot of thought that
> needs to go into the design and implementation.

Make every portfile into a meta package, where each has a directory for
the old versions?

>> Does TimeMachine already crawl the MacPorts directories to provide this?
>
> Unless the user has exclude the MacPorts prefix it should be backed up.

Ah, then for the time being perhaps we should point users to doing this if
they desperately want to revert to previously installed version that they
uninstalled? Hmm, but maybe not. I'm now thinking about $applications_dir
and what not that are outside of $prefix. Lots of forced activation will
suddenly be required.