[85929] trunk/base/src/port1.0/portlint.tcl

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Oct 17 21:27:43 PDT 2011

On 2011-10-18 09:35 , Dan Ports wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 02:26:05PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> I think it should only complain if there's a digit at the *end* of the license (excepting "X11").
>
> Actually, the X11 license *is* the MIT license. We shouldn't refer to
> it by two different names. Standardizing on "MIT" also conveniently
> avoids this special case.

The X11 license has an extra bit at the end:

Except as contained in this notice, the name of the X Consortium shall
not be used in advertising or otherwise to promote the sale, use or
other dealings in this Software without prior written authorization from
the X Consortium.

FSF considers the two to be different licenses (though they also don't
like the name "MIT license" and would rather you called it the expat
license.)

They're certainly both just as permissive for our purposes, though
that's also the case for a number of other licenses.

- Josh