[86145] trunk/dports/kde/kstars/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 20 01:41:03 PDT 2011

On Oct 20, 2011, at 03:31, Nicolas Pavillon wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> Just deleting the dependency is probably not sufficient. You also need to ensure that the dependency doesn't get used, even if it is already installed.
>
> Ah, ok. I was not aware of this nuance about variants, where I understood them as "I don't want the full dependencies to be installed" instead of "I don't want the features even if I have the dependencies already installed", where the latter seems to be the correct one.

Right. We want predictable ports. Two users who install the same port with the same variants on the same OS should receive the same software, regardless if they had different sets of ports installed beforehand.

>> Furthermore, "no_" variants are deprecated; these days, it should be an "x11" variant, that adds the dependency, and is enabled by default.
>
> Alright, I was also not aware of this. I have however the feeling that I could not find this point in the manual, and the guide seems not up to date on this matter: http://guide.macports.org/#using.port.variants even lists some "no_" variants as examples. Perhaps it should be updated ?

Yes, it should be updated. The guide has not been kept up to date with many of the changes MacPorts has undergone in recent years.

> Just to not make mistakes twice, in the case of an "x11" variant, I imagine that just adding the dependency should be enough,

No.

> or should it be ensured that dependencies are not used even if already installed ?

Yes.