[86136] trunk/base/src/port1.0/portconfigure.tcl

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 20 01:44:28 PDT 2011

On Oct 20, 2011, at 03:05, Andrea D'Amore wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 23:06, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2009-May/008612.html
>
> Reverted r86152.
>
> As a notice, and reason I was digging CPP, wxwidgets-devel +universal
> was failing at configure phase when using "$configure.cc -E" because:
> configure:16871: /Developer/usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2 -E
> -I/opt/local/include -arch x86_64 -arch i386 conftest.c
> llvm-gcc-4.2: -E, -S, -save-temps and -M options are not allowed with
> multiple -arch flags

Yes, that is a problem with many ports, and a reason why many ports have the universal variant disabled. If you're saying that setting CPP to ${configure.cpp} fixes these issues, that would be wonderful to know, and those ports should then be changed to do that.

On the question of whether MacPorts should set CPP or not, it seems that setting it breaks some ports, and not setting it breaks some other ports. I don't know how many ports are affected either way, but I'd rather not change MacPorts behavior again, and rather change individual ports as needed.