Which license is that?

Michael Crawford mdcrawford at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 21:14:00 PDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 2:26 PM, Dan Ports <dports at macports.org> wrote:
> One thing that thwarts the simplest analysis you might think of doing
> is that the COPYING file, if one exists, will not usually give you all
> the information you need.

It would be best in that case to notify the upstream that they need to
fix their license notices.  From your description it could easily be
the case that a project copyright holder applies a license completely
different from the one they intended.  That would be A Bad Thing in
the event of a legal dispute.

May I suggest someone write a script that attempts to automatically
determine the licenses of all the ports in the repository, then
compares the results to the license info that has been obtained by
hand?

Such a script would be useful to Open Source project hosting sites
like SourceForge and GitHub.
--
Michael David Crawford
mdcrawford at gmail dot com

  Custom Software Development for the iPhone and Mac OS X
  http://www.dulcineatech.com/custom-software-development/