[86280] trunk/dports/python/repo/Portfile

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Oct 24 14:39:12 PDT 2011

On 2011-10-25 08:01 , Andrea D'Amore wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:50, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>> You can't just increase the epoch. You must also increase either the revision or the version, as appropriate.
>
> The version is unknown, I figured 1.7.5 was latest stable from
> android/tools_repo tags but this new update - that reflects the new
> repo hosting on Google's own servers - seems to be 1.7.3.x, that is
> before the one that was already in ports.

That doesn't mean you should change the epoch. An installed port
instance is uniquely identified by just name,version,revision,variants.
Epoch is only to be incremented when a version that looks older to the
version comparison function should be considered newer. If you update a
port from 1.0 to 1.1 but then roll back to 1.0 because of a problem and
increase the epoch, people who had 1.0 installed before the update and
never installed 1.1 will not be required to rebuild 1.0. It's the same
version.

If the upstream version number has not changed but the software has been
updated, increase the revision. If the upstream version identifier is
lower than the one previously in the portfile (as you seem to be saying
here) but the software is actually newer, increment the epoch *and*
change to the lower version number.

- Josh