Packages ignoring applications_dir

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 9 02:55:13 PDT 2011

On Sep 9, 2011, at 02:39, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>
>>> In my macports.conf I have applications_dir set as
>>> /opt/local/Applications/MacPorts, however when installing python27,
>>> for example, the app bundles are installed in /Applications/MacPorts.
>>> I notice that the port is installed from a package and not built from
>>> source but shouldn't the final location honour the configuration
>>> options?
>>
>> Looks like we need to modify base: if the user has non-standard paths they cannot use the pre-built packages.
>
> Better yet, the applications_dir *should* be relocated to ${prefix}
> just like frameworks_dir was (successfully). With a symlink set up:
>
> /Applications/MacPorts -> /opt/local/Applications
>
> MacPorts itself was also relocated from the system Tcl install path
> to go live entirely in the ${prefix} instead like a good citizen...
>
> /Library/Tcl/macports1.0 -> /opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/macports1.0

I don't disagree with you, but it doesn't change the fact that if the user has customized applications_dir, then the packages the buildbot built won't install to the right place on the user's system. Your suggestion to change the default applications_dir doesn't fix that problem, though perhaps it makes it less likely that the user will need to customize applications_dir, since the primary reason I know of to do so is to avoid collisions between two MacPorts installations.