Diffing compressed tarballs

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Sep 9 17:44:12 PDT 2011

On Sep 9, 2011, at 19:40, Arno Hautala wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 20:28, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> The case is for .bz2, not .tbz2.
>
> Ah, so it is.
> Probably want to add '.tgz' as well.

I already committed a fix that does.

>> gnutar does not produce an error, but I also still don't see a diff.
>
> Using gnutar works for me, though it fails if the tarball doesn't
> contain an enclosing directory.

And the tarballs MacPorts creates don't.

I see there is another project called "tardiff", also from 2005, here:

http://tardiff.sourceforge.net/

I haven't tried it yet to see if it works better. But it does seem to have more options (e.g. diffing a tarball against a directory, might be interesting).