macports fetch suggestion

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 12 05:45:05 PDT 2011

On Sep 12, 2011, at 05:30, Daniel Price wrote:

> there's one more point here, which is that this is only really an issue when the build time is long. If macports does eventually have binary installs, then the problem also goes away as the build time should be a lot quicker anyway.

Right, I forgot I was going to mention that point as well. MacPorts *does* have binary installs, as of MacPorts 2. Not all ports are built as binary packages yet, nor for all operating systems and processor architectures, but hopefully the number of available packages will increase as we sort out issues over the coming months.