Stray Files on Buildbot (Sept 19)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 21 10:53:55 PDT 2011

On Sep 21, 2011, at 12:20, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> It's probably not the job of MacPorts base to know about the cache or database files other random software might create. It seems like it would be a lot of work to create an accurate list and keep it updated.
>
> I'm fine with not watching this in base, but we definitely should have something looking for files left behind in the buildbot--either as warnings or deleting them.

That's probably true; mpab should probably take care of deleting stray files after it's done building a thing. Issuing warnings would be fine as long as they can be easily ignored, since many ports will install unregistered files in the normal course of events. fontconfig has a database of fonts it's found for example, and many ports install config files the user is meant to modify (and which therefore aren't registered to the port, so that we don't clobber the user's changes on upgrades).