Perl 5 License =?= {Artistic-1 GPL-1}

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Wed Sep 21 19:55:23 PDT 2011

On 2011-9-22 02:52 , Dan Ports wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 02:19:13PM -0400, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>> I believe the perl 5 license equates to artistic-1 or gpl-1.
>>
>> Is it worth adding to portmgr/jobs/port_binary_distributable.tcl?
>
> The perl license allows any version of the GPL, so it should just be
> 'GPL' not 'GPL-1'
>
> I've been listing perl ports as {Artistic GPL}, and think it's better
> to do that than add a new license to the list of acceptable licenses
> and try to work out its conflicts.
>
> We haven't really been distinguishing the different versions of the
> Artistic license. We probably should be more careful about that,
> although in practice the difference isn't actually going to matter to
> us for ports that are dual-licensed with the GPL.

Hm, if the perl license specifies a particular version of the Artistic
license we should definitely be saying that. You're right that it's not
a huge deal, but let's try to get it right from now on.

<http://dev.perl.org/licenses/> doesn't mention that there are multiple
versions at all, but I do remember seeing version 2 applied to Parrot.

- Josh