commit access

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 26 12:07:19 PDT 2011

On Sep 26, 2011, at 13:26, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> On Sep 26, 2011, at 2:51 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>
>> On 09/24/2011 10:53 AM, Titus von Boxberg wrote:
>>> I followed http://guide.macports.org/#project.membership
>>> to apply for commit rights but didn't receive an answer on two mails.
>>>
>>> Is this due to a technical or personal or documentation problem?
>>
>> You did nothing wrong and that is the correct procedure to apply for commit access. We as managers would be supposed to review your request, but over the last month nobody got to it. This review includes looking for tickets in Trac, Portfile contributions, submitted patches, mailing posts and so on. After that, we still need to make the decision if we grant the commit access or not.
>
> That certainly wins points for honesty and clarity (seriously), but it still leaves the poor guy hanging somewhat on the "what next?" question.   Is there some procedure for what happens when portmgr is unresponsive?  Can one of you make unilateral decisions on its behalf, or is a quorum required, or ... ?   These might be good questions to at least discuss amongst yourselves. :)

I believe the procedure when portmgr is unresponsive is to keep poking us until we respond. Usually one of the managers will initiate a conversation among the managers, proposing the application be accepted or rejected. Sometimes there is further discussion, sometimes not. After a consensus is reached, or if there is no further discussion, someone usually then acts on the request.

I guess the new issues and tasks brought about by Lion / MacPorts 2 / buildbot (in addition to the usual port updates and playing ticket and mailing list referee) have been occupying a lot of our time.