Synchronizing Two Macports Installations

Benoît T benoit.triquet at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 14:33:05 PDT 2011

Hello

Le 29 sept. 2011 à 23:14, Francisco Garcia Rodriguez a écrit :
> I am not sure if a solution could be just syncing the var/macports/ build and software folders. In that case I could make an script that after a sync, pull the installed packages of the other computer and try to auto-install/remove its own ports

i can't see a reason why plain rsync on the whole /opt/local would't do just the right thing:
- macports does not use attributes so you do not need to use the special rsync from CarbonCopyCloner
- macports is all of /opt/local, and only that (right??)

rsync -a is the usual "archive" mode but it does not include expensive operations such as deduplicating hardlinks (-H) nor those options that clone special features that make sense only on some filesystems and therefor fail on other filesystems (ACLs, extended attributes...)

therefore, on mac os i use rsync -HESvax --delete, while on linux i use rsync -HAXvax --delete.

cheers

--
Benoit Triquet <benoit.triquet at gmail.com>
 .''`.