[91344] trunk/dports/graphics/freeimage/Portfile

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sun Apr 1 09:47:31 PDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 10:10:16PM -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> With the way you've had to basically run the patch, build and destroot
> tasks a second time each in order to do this, it feels like maybe this
> would be an ideal opportunity to use a subport instead. I don't know
> the freeimage software however. Presumably, since the port didn't have
> freeimageplus before this change, there are uses that don't require
> freeimageplus. Does changing this to a subport sound ok? If so I can
> give it a try.

FreeImagePlus is a C++ wrapper around FreeImage.

I agree piggy-backing this into the freeimage port isn't the cleanest
solution, but it's not easily splitted either, because from what I have
seen both Makefiles will actually build the freeimage dylib (and install
some conflicting header files).

Factoring this out into a separate port (or subport for that matter)
would require patching of the Makefile to prevent building and
installing the freeimage dylib a second time, but rather only link
against the one installed by freeimage.

So since FreeImagePlus is only a small addition I think it's more
suitable for a variant, and since we cannot depend on variants and FI+
is actually something other ports might want to depend on and it's not
much overhead to compile FI+, I went this way to add it in.

If you want to work on it, feel free to, though.

--
Clemens Lang