Reinplace

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Tue Apr 3 05:27:41 PDT 2012

At 1:10 AM -0500 4/3/12, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>On Apr 2, 2012, at 19:55, Craig Treleaven wrote:

>>>  The "find" correctly finds 28 files named "Makefile". It
>>>correctly removes " -L " from 22 of them. The remaining 6 are in
>>>the directory mythplugins/mythweather/mythweather/scripts and do
>>>not contain that string so there's nothing to remove.
>>
>>  Ryan:
>>
>>  There should be 58 Makefiles, see attached list.
>>
>>  Craig
>>  <MythTV_Makefile_list.txt>
>
>On my system, after running configure, there are 28 files named
>"Makefile". The list you attached shows 46 files called "Makefile",
>so I guess 18 of them were created after the configure phase, which
>means they're going to be rather hard to patch. This patching is a
>workaround anyway. We should be figuring out what's writing " -L "
>into the Makefiles (something in the configure script) and changing
>that. Or, asking the mythtv developers to fix it, since it's their
>software.

I think you've hit the nail on the head--the problematic Makefiles
have a later time stamp.  I didn't know it was possible that they
could be recreated during the build phase.

Obviously I agree that fixing the generation of the spurious -L's in
the first place would be preferable.  I spent an inordinate amount of
time last week trying to track down the source but I don't know qmake
(or make, to be honest) and had no success.

Come to think of it, I focused only on the configure stage--comparing
the environment variables set and the arguments passed to
./configure.  If these spurious -L's are happening at the _build_
stage, I need to go through those.  I'll give that a go this morning.

Craig