[MacPorts] #33883: oxygen-icons @4.8.1 fetching failed, 404, checksum failed

Eric Cronin ecronin at macports.org
Tue Apr 3 16:21:14 PDT 2012

On Apr 3, 2012, at 6:06 PM, MacPorts wrote:
> #33883: oxygen-icons @4.8.1 fetching failed, 404, checksum failed
> ----------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
> Reporter:  reakinator@…          |       Owner:  snc@…
>     Type:  defect                |      Status:  new
>
> Comment(by reakinator@…):
>
> Thanks for getting me getting me on the right track, and you're right I
> don't understand much of what macports is doing. :)
>
> Running "sudo port clean --all oxygen-icons" allowed me to get past the
> 404 error with the new DNS server (yet I read that from the linked wiki
> page, although it didn't mention the clean --all command, now I know).

Would it make sense to put this information in the error message we print out when checksums fail (something like "After investigating run 'port clean --dist $portname' to remove the old file")?  This is probably second to not running clean at all in generating invalid trac tickets...  I just updated MisbehavingServers since that's where the error message points people, not at the FAQ where we tell them about clean --dist...

Even better from a POLA perspective would be adding some logic/state so that until a file successfully checksums "port clean" removes the existing download automatically...  It's surprising enough to novice users that we keep old downloads around indefinitely (Ryan's scripts are nice but hardly novice-friendly), but really confusing that we try so hard to keep invalid downloads around too.

Thanks,
Eric