ruby question

Aljaž Srebrnič g5pw at macports.org
Thu Apr 5 10:46:29 PDT 2012

On 02/apr/2012, at 19:20, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2012, at 16:16, Aljaž Srebrnič wrote:
>
>> I was trying to craft a port for the earthquake ruby gem (a CLI for twitter), but I stumbled on some puzzling things: apparently, earthquake needs ruby 1.9, why is ruby available as ruby19 and not simply ruby (whih installs the 1.8 version)? And if we go the python way, why there's no ruby-select?
>
> The ruby port should probably be renamed to / replaced_by ruby18.
>
> There should probably be a ruby-select port.
>
> The ruby portgroup would then need to be overhauled as well.
>
> I don't think anybody's worked on the ruby ports in awhile; if you're interested you should coordinate with the ruby maintainer.

I pinged him/her, but no response… The select stuff is quite obscure to me, however, Is there some documentation about it? I couldn't find anything in the guide or wiki… :/

>> Slightly related: I wanna install earthquake, but get the source using github. Just add both PortGroups and then ruby.setup first and then github.setup?
>
> Yes, the github portgroup should be able to coexist with other portgroups.
Thanks for the info ;)

However, I took a peek in the python_select port and tried to emulate it, and quickly noticed an issue: ruby 1.8 does not provide the rake command (available as rb-rake port) but it is bundled with ruby19! I haven't the foggiest on how to implement that :/

Aljaž Srebrnič
-- --
My public key:  http://bit.ly/g5pw_pubkey