Using apple-gcc42 on Tiger

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 7 23:21:05 PDT 2012

On Apr 8, 2012, at 01:00, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

>> Oh yes, this looks familiar. This is the problem we fixed in many ports by manually adding lots of -l flags, yes? I seem to also remember it only occurring on universal builds, though that doesn't appear to be the case you quoted above.
>
> Yes, adding a ton of -l in the right places will certainly fix the issue, but my way was quicker and uses a toolchain that I trust much more. ;)

I agree, just wanted to make sure I understood the signature of the problem. There are probably still several open tickets about this problem in various ports that we didn't get to because it was tedious to figure out what libraries to use or how to insert these flags in the right places; now we can fix them easily.

> I don't see why you would've only seen this with +universal, but if you recall a case, I'd be curious to investigate.

Perhaps I'm remembering a different Tiger build problem, which only showed up when building universal on PowerPC machines (or when using the cmake portgroup), because that's the only time when we use -isysroot to use an SDK.