first experiences with rev-upgrade

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Apr 8 05:42:54 PDT 2012

On 2012-04-08 13:57 , Clemens Lang wrote:
> Not running rev-upgrade automatically will probably cause it never to be
> run at all by the average user. We could run the analysis phase
> automatically and instruct the user to issue port rev-upgrade to trigger
> the rebuild manually when problems occur. However, as said before,
> there's no point in keeping broken binaries and users might just as well
> be annoyed by updates breaking their other ports as much as they are
> annoyed by some phase trying to fix it automatically for them.

Instead of running rev-upgrade automatically we could follow the
approach in selfupdate/upgrade outdated. 'port selfupdate' prints a
message that users should run 'port upgrade outdated' to upgrade their
ports.

For rev-upgrade, that could be implemented as a message in the form of
"X broken ports found, run 'port rev-upgrade' to rebuild these ports."
and do not automatically pursue the upgrade.

Personally I switched to the 'report' action for rev-upgrade in
macports.conf, which is suitable for developers. However such an option
is not a replacement for a sane default behavior for end users.

Rainer