macports 2.0.4 breaks the usage of clang on Xcode 4.3.2

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.med.uc.edu
Sun Apr 8 07:44:44 PDT 2012

On Sun, Apr 08, 2012 at 10:18:30AM -0400, Jack Howarth wrote:
>    It appears that the new MacPorts 2.0.4 release when clean installed from
> the Lion dmg breaks the usage of clang as the default compiler for package building
> under Xcode 4.3.2. If you execute 'sudo port -d install pymol', you will observe
> that /usr/bin/llvm-gcc-4.2 is used when building all the required packages during
> the pymol installation. I don't see this issue with an installation of MacPorts 2.0.3
> which was upgraded to 2.0.4. Any idea how this got so badly broken?
>              Jack

I also see the same breakage in MacPorts 2.0.4 when built from sources in
MacPorts-2.0.4.tar.bz2 using...

./configure && make && sudo make install

under Xcode 4.3.2 on Lion. When executing 'sudo port -v selfupdate', port is blindly
using llvm-gcc-4.2 rather than the expected clang compiler at the point it is
starting to build again from sources. I strongly suspect this breakage is somehow
due to the new binary package support. Is there any way to disable that feature?
I don't see any obvious options to do that listed in /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf.
        Jack