Binary downloads

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Tue Apr 10 20:28:04 PDT 2012

More questions.

How are variants handled for dependent packages?

For example, I add a bunch of default variants to variants.conf that has
perl5.* compile using +shared +threads and if this changes Perl's ABI,
then how are the dependent binary Perl modules handled?

Actually, a better example is Python, I compile with +ucs4 which changes
the functions for managing Unicode and if a binary module is loaded into
a Python with +ucs2, then things will fail with missing symbols.

Should binary downloads be disabled if a reverse-dependent package has a
non-default variant set?

Thanks,
Blair