Binary downloads

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Apr 10 20:32:49 PDT 2012

On 2012-4-11 13:16 , Blair Zajac wrote:
> I blew away my /opt/local to start over after I got a SQL error I asked
> about in a previous thread [1] and noticed that the new build is using
> binary downloads.
>
> 1) Were binary downloads enabled for a while and it's just because I'm
> reintalling "core" packages that I'm seeing this?

Yes, they've been enabled since 1.9 IIRC. The existence of any packages
is considerably more recent.

> 2) Is there a way to disable binary downloads and always compile myself?

The -s option. There's a macports.conf option that will be in the next
release.

> 3) What file format is the rmd160 files?  Are those signatures or
> checksums?

Signatures, generated like this:
openssl dgst -ripemd160 -sign privkey.pem -out archive.tbz2.rmd160
archive.tbz2

- Josh