What's the reasoning behind using ld64 for gccXX?

Sean Farley sean.michael.farley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 09:35:03 PDT 2012

> No, that wouldn't be similar. Rather, it would be similar to the +system_x11 variant we tried for some time, which proved to be a disaster that I don't think we should attempt to repeat.
>
> Adding options/variants just increases the complexity of MacPorts and makes each individual option/variant that much more likely to fail. If we focus our efforts on only a small number of supported configurations/options/variants, that makes it more likely that those configurations will actually work. So on that basis, I support Jeremy's work on this.

Right, it's crazy to support all those options. On the user end
though, I am seeing unexpected linking errors due to the change in
ld64 and cctools being replaced by macports. I find it unacceptable to
throw this on the user for the reason of "future / potential bugs" as
this causes *real bugs* right now.