Let's talk about +debug

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Thu Apr 19 10:16:45 PDT 2012

On 2012-4-20 02:40 , Sean Farley wrote:
> I'd like to discuss /review the latest patch here:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/ticket/33821
>
> As I point out in the ticket, it is extremely useful to retain
> debugging symbols for libraries (optionally set with +debug). My
> co-workers and I have been using this for about two years now with no
> problems whatsoever and we'd like to see it in the core of macports.
> Thoughts?

I don't doubt this is useful to you, but I really don't want to have to
support it. It's inevitably not going to work right in some cases, and
when you provide a variant people understandably expect it to work. The
target audience is also comparatively small.

At this point I'd probably rather not accept it at all, and just let you
continue to provide it as a third party patch. If we did decide to
include it, I'd at least want it off by default with a config knob for
those who know they need it.

- Josh