What's the reasoning behind using ld64 for gccXX?

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at macports.org
Thu Apr 19 12:17:11 PDT 2012

On Apr 19, 2012, at 07:12, Jack Howarth wrote:

> Jeremy,
>   I am puzzled about one issue. A year or so ago, the ld64 package was only copying the existing
> Xcode release's ld and rebase (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/29173) for darwin10 and later.

Yeah, that was a bad idea.  I'm glad it's gone.

> Rather than change those to symlinks as I suggested, that code was removed.

Yeah, symlinks would be better, but still not as good as building our own copy.

> I don't see a discussion
> of that change in the tickets.

It was done before I started messing with the ports.

> My concern is that this desynchronizes the Xcode compilers from their
> cctools outside of MacPorts (when the compilers are accessed from the command line).

I don't really understand your statement, so I can't really respond.  I will offer a few points which may be related to your concern:

1) The XCode compilers will continue to use their versions and won't touch what's in ${prefix} (this is because they don't use $PATH).
2) The MP compilers will use our versions of these tools.

Please let me know if that doesn't answer your concern.

--Jeremy