Let's talk about +debug

Sean Farley sean.michael.farley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 12:56:25 PDT 2012

> It's one thing for a distro to provide symbols by default, but if you want a
> package to be compiled with -O0 -g, then you're always looking at doing your
> own recompile.  So I guess one would need to edit the Portfile to change the
> optimization flags.

So, if I understand correctly, split the .dSYM generation into
macports.conf (no variant required) then have a variant for building
-O0 -g? That sounds fine to me.

Will gdb look in lib/debug automatically for the symbols? All the
projects I've seen that use .dSYM have them side-by-side with the
.dylibs (or .so).