Let's talk about +debug

Sean Farley sean.michael.farley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 13:40:59 PDT 2012

> Historically we've told people who want debug info to either do what you do (local repository) or that macports isn't really in the business of solving that particular problem.

Asking people to create a local repo just for debugging symbols
(located in the .dSYM bundle) is
just plain silly. There are two orthogonal issues here: creating the
.dSYM bundle and using "-O0 -g". At the very least, macports should be
creating the .dSYM (perhaps based on a macports.conf setting) which
will not affect any of the ports (it doesn't change anything about the
way the port is built).

Adding a -O0 -g is another issue and can be separated into a PortGroup for now.