github port group

Sean Farley sean.michael.farley at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 10:17:46 PDT 2012

> There's no such variable. Just use git.branch, same as if you weren't using the github portgroup.

I was suggesting adding it to the github port group, but I see that
it'd probably make more sense to use the git.branch variable.

> I didn't think github had automated downloads available except for tags.

They do. Take, for example, the repo

https://github.com/AndreaCrotti/yasnippet-snippets

To get the commit that I pushed, 1441728b488e0883c4ed3ccdfbfd64e82c2b0324,

https://github.com/AndreaCrotti/yasnippet-snippets/tarball/1441728b488e0883c4ed3ccdfbfd64e82c2b0324

> If github has automated downloads available for any tag/branch as well, then we would need to verify that they always have the same checksums, and are not generated on the fly. I'm pretty sure that bitbucket, for example, generates them on the fly, meaning different users requesting them at different times will get different checksums, which means they're not suitable for use as master_sites in MacPorts.

You can see that they both generate the same checksums. For the above
link, the sha1sum reports:

$ sha1sum ~/Downloads/AndreaCrotti-yasnippet-snippets-1441728.tar.gz
61df0e33e73940f720d5506520068533f8b28869
/Users/sean/Downloads/AndreaCrotti-yasnippet-snippets-1441728.tar.gz

> As I explained in the ticket already, the decision of whether to use the rss feed for livecheck should be based on whether git.branch has been set, not on the length of the version. It does not make sense to set the version to the git hash for the reasons I explained in the ticket.

Ah, ok, I see what you mean about git.branch now. Thanks for
explaining some more.

> I didn't know that we had, or that anyone was working on, a bitbucket portgroup. Is there a ticket already?

No, it's still a patch in my local repo. Since I didn't know how to
proceed with the github group, I was waiting for this to be settled
then I'd submit the bitbucket one.

> What do you mean, "if version exists"? The third parameter of github.setup, which is currently not optional, is the version number you want to assign to this port.

Using the repo above as an example, what version would it get? Now
that I understand what you meant by git.branch, my guess is that it'd
be the following:

github.setup        AndreaCrotti yasnippet-snippets XXX*
git.branch          a4d27f49d7a4027af0229b7d8298a66e5ce4e504

Internally, for livecheck, this would use the rss to check the version
(since git.branch is set), correct?

* any unique identifier; perhaps "20120422" to mean the latest commit
as of this writing