make install DESTIR=... vs. prefix=... (gnuplot)

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Mon Apr 30 11:27:52 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 07:52:20PM +0200, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>     make install prefix=/path/to/that/weird/macports/destroot
> (which is what macports does for gnuplot) is the wrong way of
> installing and that one should use
>     make install DESTDIR=/path/to/that/weird/macports/destroot

Yeah, this sounds right. make install DESTDIR= is what we usually
use in the destroot phase.

I'm not sure why the gnuplot port overrides that, but I see that line
has been in the portfile forever (8 years) so it's quite possible that
it was important in some ancient version of gnuplot that didn't support
DESTDIR.

If just removing the destroot.destdir line works, then great, we should
do that.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports              MIT CSAIL                http://drkp.net/