texlive dependencies - installing texlive when it didn't before (e.g. latex2html)

John Owens john_owens at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 19 07:15:26 PDT 2012

Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at ...> writes:
> On Aug 18, 2012, at 19:12, John Owens <john_owens at ...> wrote:
>
> > I spent a while ~2 years ago fixing up a bunch of ports so that if someone
> > had MacTex installed, macports would not also install texlive.
>
> As long as the user places the MacTex path into the binpath variable in
> macports.conf, that should still be how things work today.
>
> > $ port deps latex2html
> > Full Name: latex2html @2008_3
> > Library Dependencies: perl5
> > Runtime Dependencies: texlive-latex, ghostscript, netpbm
> >
> > But when I look at the latex2html port, the only dependency is:
> >
> > depends_run             bin:latex:texlive-latex \
>
> This means that if a file "latex" is not found in a directory in the binpath,
> then the port texlive-latex will be installed.
>
> > Since that's a bin dependency, it ought to look for something in my
> > binpath. bibtex2html has something similar (and also requires a texlive
> > install):
> >
> > depends_run      bin:bibtex:texlive-basic
>
> This means that if a file "bibtex" is not found in a directory in the binpath,
> then the port texlive-basic will be installed.

OK, I'm a little baffled then, since I do have that all set up correctly.
Thoughts? I did not see this until 10.8.

$ grep "^binpath" /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf
binpath		/usr/texbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/bin:/sbin:
/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
$ ls -l /usr/texbin/latex
lrwxr-xr-x  1 jowens  wheel  6 Jul 19 13:09 /usr/texbin/latex -> pdftex
$ ls -l /usr/texbin/bibtex
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  191644 May 23 11:16 /usr/texbin/bibtex

JDO