texlive dependencies - installing texlive when it didn't before (e.g.?latex2html)

Dan Ports dports at macports.org
Sun Aug 19 22:37:09 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 04:53:30AM +0000, John Owens wrote:
> depends_build    port:ocaml port:hevea port:texlive-latex-extra
>                           port:texlive-latex-recommended
>
> which I propose to change to bin:latex:texlive-latex-recommended.

This isn't quite right. The latex binary is provided by
texlive-latex, so this would allow that port (rather than
texlive-latex-recommended) to satisfy the dependency if installed.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a good way to express these dependencies
in a way that allows MacTeX to satisfy them too. In general, I'd like
ports to specify their dependencies on texlive more precisely (e.g.
texlive-latex-recommended instead of just the texlive metaport) but in
some cases that doesn't lend itself well to a bin: dependency because
the dependency isn't on a specific binary.

Ideas welcome.

> Also odd is pgf, which has as post-activate
>
> post-activate {
>     texlive.mktexlsr
> }
>
> mktexlsr is part of MacTex, but I don't know how to specify calling it
> instead if it's in the binpath. Suggestions?

For this one, I suspect you may be trying to solve the wrong problem
here, since pgf is included in MacTeX.

If a port is calling mktexlsr, it's because it's installing tex files.
Those are installed into a location that's specific to a MacPorts tex
installation; trying to make that work with an external tex
installation doesn't sound like something we should try to support.

Dan

--
Dan R. K. Ports                UW CSE                http://drkp.net/