+universal vs the buildbot

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 28 22:40:23 PDT 2012

On Aug 28, 2012, at 22:19, Ryan Stonecipher wrote:

> Some ports have +universal as a default variant.
> When such ports have "big" dependencies such as qt4-mac, gcc4x, or
> atlas they take hours to build and install.
> The buildbot makes installing default single-architecture binaries painless.
> Could the buildbot be adapted to also provide +universal binaries with
> default universal architectures for +universal-by-default ports and
> their dependencies?

The buildbot builds default variants only. So if a port has a universal variant by default, then the buildbot will automatically build all the dependencies with the universal variant. But there shouldn't be many of those.

Which ports are you thinking of? The only ports that have the universal variant on by default should be those that are distributed as pre-compiled universal binaries instead of source, and even then we should fix these to use lipo to thin them instead of defaulting to universal.

The only port I found with default universal variant with dependencies is darwinbuild, and its only dependencies are sqlite3 and tcl, so nothing as large as qt4-mac or gcc.

Other ports that would cause the buildbot to build dependencies universal are those requesting 32-bit architectures in their supported_archs line. For example all of wine's dependencies would be available as universal binaries on the packages server for this reason.