+universal vs the buildbot

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 04:49:34 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 5:19 AM, Ryan Stonecipher wrote:
> Some ports have +universal as a default variant.
> When such ports have "big" dependencies such as qt4-mac, gcc4x, or
> atlas they take hours to build and install.
> The buildbot makes installing default single-architecture binaries painless.
> Could the buildbot be adapted to also provide +universal binaries with
> default universal architectures for +universal-by-default ports and
> their dependencies?

Or another buildbot which would try to build all the ports as universal ;)
(or i386-only when 64-bit cannot be built ;)

Yes, I'm aware that this would mean a lot of extra resources, but it
would be great to have at least some huge packages built with
+universal flag.

When I tried to install TextMate2, the bottleneck was compiling
clang-3.2. I didn't request +universal variant and I don't have any
setting which would install +universal by default, so I'm not sure why
it wanted recompilation from source.

Mojca