+universal vs the buildbot

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Aug 29 20:44:46 PDT 2012

On Aug 29, 2012, at 22:40, Ryan Stonecipher <RMStonecipher at macports.org> wrote:

> This appears to be the issue on my computer as well.
> Virtualbox builds a kernel module for architectures listed by running uname -m.

Right. Virtualbox is special in that it builds a kernel module so it needs to build for the architecture of kernel your computer runs.

The architecture of kernel that the Snow Leopard buildbot runs is apparently x86_64, so it does not build the dependencies universal. But on your computer the kernel is i386 so on your system you need universal dependencies.

> Is this something that should be handled differently in Virtualbox which calls itself non-universal in its portfile?

Nope, everything seems to be working as intended. Virtualbox says it is not universal, which is the truth. But when built 32-bit on an otherwise 64-bit system, it needs universal dependencies, no different from any other port in that situation (wine, wxwidgets, etc.).

To the heart of the matter: I agree it would be a good idea if we could get the buildbot to always attempt a universal build as well. I don't know what would need to be changed about the buildbot configuration to get that to happen however.