port mpkg and variants: failure

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 7 19:28:44 PST 2012

On Dec 7, 2012, at 20:40, Blair Zajac wrote:

> Trying to get mpkg to work wit a large meta MacPorts port, but it seems to want to recompile dependent ports with no default variants.
>
> $ cat /opt/local-10.7-2012-08/etc/macports/variants.conf
> +bash_completion +dbus +doc +hdri +huge +icu +jbig +jpeg2 +nls +openldap +openssl +pear +perl5_12 +pcre +postgresql92 +python +python27 +svn +ssl +tools +ucs4
>

> Running 'port mpkg apr-util' tries to rebuild icu without the +doc variant, which I don't want.  However, 'port pkg apr-util' works and it unpacks the binary archive containing the +openldap variant

"port pkg" should create a package of the port with whatever variants you specify. "port pkg apr-util" should package apr-util with its default variants. "port pkg apr-util +openldap" should package apr-util with the +openldap variant.

"port mpkg" should package a port and all its dependencies, with the variants you specify. So if you "sudo port mpkg foo +bash_completion +dbus +doc +hdri +huge +icu +jbig +jpeg2 +nls +openldap +openssl +pear +perl5_12 +pcre +postgresql92 +python +python27 +svn +ssl +tools +ucs4" it should package up that port and its dependencies with those variants. If that works, then I guess the bug is that mpkg doesn't read variants.conf? mpkg seems to be its own little world; there are several outstanding bugs affecting only mpkg.