python24-26 policy

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Dec 8 17:52:58 PST 2012

In article <50C3D30A.2080704 at macports.org>,
 Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> On 2012-12-9 10:31 , Aljaž Srebrnič wrote:
> > Hello list!
> > I'd like to know what's the policy with maintaining py2[4-6]- ports…
> > Shouldn't we gradually drop support for older python versions?
>
> With the unified portgroup there's almost no extra effort involved in
> having them. I don't think there's any reason to drop them until
> upstream does.

WRT Python itself: Python 2.4.x and 2.5.x are no longer supported in any
way by the PSF Python project (www.python.org).  Python 2.6.x is in
security-fix-only mode until October 2013.  Python 2.7 is current and in
an extended maintenance mode period (bug fixes, security fixes, no new
features); no date has yet been established for when it will move to
security-fix-only mode.   Python 2.7.x is the final release series for
Python 2.

Python 3.0.x is end-of-lifed and not supported in any way.  Python 3.1.x
is in security-fix-only mode until June 2014.  Python 3.2.x is currently
in maintenance mode but will move to security-fix-only mode soon after
its next and final maintenance release in the coming months.  Python
3.3.x is current and in maintenance mode.  New features are being worked
on for Python 3.4, currently planned for release in Feb 2014.

http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.6/
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5.6/
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.6.7/
http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7.3/