More formal definition of minor changes

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 16 19:49:13 PST 2012

On Dec 16, 2012, at 10:45, Joshua Root wrote:
> On 2012-12-17 01:34 , Andrea D'Amore wrote:
>> On a slightly different topic: what about the default openmaintainership?
>
> Seems like very little benefit for the effort; it's just switching the
> encoding but conveying the same information.

It's worth discussing in some way. We do have lots of ports maintained (without openmaintainer) by people who contributed one port, were encouraged at that time to volunteer to be the maintainer, and are then never heard from again, which means needing to file a ticket for even simple changes and waiting 72 hours to commit them (or sometimes months if I forget about the ticket), before finally much later someone decides to initiate the laborious port abandonment procedure.

Maybe we just need to encourage non-committers to use openmaintainer. I've been trying to get into the habit of doing this when handling new port submissions.