[100699] trunk/dports/lang/tcl/Portfile

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sat Dec 22 13:11:34 PST 2012

On 2012-12-23 07:25 , Jeremy Huddleston Sequoia wrote:

> Sent from my iPhone...
>
> On Dec 21, 2012, at 15:30, Aljaž Srebrnič <g5pw at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> On 21/dic/2012, at 20:17, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>>> This is a good example of where you should not just see "openmaintainer"
>>> and automatically commit the latest version. Both API and ABI
>>> incompatibilities are introduced with this release. Threading is now
>>> enabled by default, so the threads variant does nothing.
>>
>> Looks like I made a big mistake. I fully apologize to every one of you for the trouble I've caused, I should've listened to the little voice in my head saying "don't commit that yet!".
>> I have some points to my defense however:
>> - in the changes summary, no API/ABI incompatibilities are highlighted.
>> - threads can be disabled with --disable-threads. I was sure that --disable-threads was passed as default, but now I that that's not the case, so this should be added and maybe we should add +threads as a default variant.
>
> ok, then please:
> revbump tcl
> add --disable-threads to the non-variant confopts.
> i dont have an opinion on default variants
> revbump all ports that tepend on tcl.

Not all dependents will need rev bumping, only those that link against
the libs. Some will just be running scripts in the interpreter, and that
should be highly backward compatible.

You should probably talk to mww (and possibly the upstream maintainers)
about whether threads should be default, or indeed whether having the
option to disable them still makes sense with this release.

- Josh