[100699] trunk/dports/lang/tcl/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 23 00:37:43 PST 2012

On Dec 23, 2012, at 02:04, vincent habchi wrote:

> On 23 déc. 2012, at 07:28, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> It's the same conundrum I find myself in when ImageMagick's library version number changes. How to find which ports link with the magick libraries (which need a revbump) and those that just run the ImageMagick programs (which don't)?
>
> Weren’t depend_lib and depend_run precisely meant to solve this headache?

That seems reasonable... but a program that uses say ImageMagick at runtime might check at build time that ImageMagick is present, which would require the following dependencies:

depends_build port:ImageMagick
depends_run   port:ImageMagick

And for some time we've taken the view that a dependency specified in depends_build and depends_run should instead be in depends_lib. Perhaps we should not have been doing this.