VirtualBox and the missing ConsoleMessage command on Snow Leopard

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Sun Feb 5 09:43:58 PST 2012

On Feb 5, 2012, at 8:38 AM, Eric Cronin wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2012, at 5:56 AM, Marko Käning wrote:
>>
>> … in the meantime I did reinstall it and the result is the same:
>> ---
>> $  port contents virtualbox | grep org.macports.VirtualBox.plist
>> $  port contents virtualbox | grep plist
>> /opt/macports-test/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/Info.plist
>> /opt/macports-test/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/Resources/VirtualBoxVM.app/Contents/Info.plist
>> /opt/macports-test/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/Resources/vmstarter.app/Contents/Info.plist
>> /opt/macports-test/Library/Extensions/VBoxDrv.kext/Contents/Info.plist
>> /opt/macports-test/Library/Extensions/VBoxNetAdp.kext/Contents/Info.plist
>> /opt/macports-test/Library/Extensions/VBoxNetFlt.kext/Contents/Info.plist
>> /opt/macports-test/Library/Extensions/VBoxUSB.kext/Contents/Info.plist
>> /opt/macports-test/Library/StartupItems/VirtualBox/StartupParameters.plist
>> ---
>> There is no such file in the installation the portfile created. So I guess the portfile is to be blamed.
>

> With the prefix 'macports-test' is this a secondary macports install?  If so you probably set 'startupitem_type none' in macports.conf to avoid conflicting with your main macports install, which means the startup item plist won't be installed into /Library (or anywhere else), which would explain what you're seeing…

Yes, I would like to see this behavior changed. Port installs startupitems into prefix and then links them into /Libraray/{LaunchAgents,LaunchDaemons}.

I would like to see 'startupitem_type no' install startupitem files but not link them into /Libraray/{LaunchAgents,LaunchDaemons}.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)